|Version 6 (modified by yshigemo, 5 years ago)|
Here I hope to learn from Taverna, Remora, MOWServ etc. other existing workflow frameworks which utilize various webservices.
Existing Workflow Engines
Desktop/Rich Client Applicaiotns:
- What is the current bottleneck to create bioinformatics workflows?
- What kind of workflows have been created? (see examples below)
- What kind of services are missing yet?
- ID mapping problem
- Data format conversion
- Job management
- Remote and local execution
- Grid integration
- One possible solution to provide grid access from simple web service API: NBCR Opal Toolkit
Example Workflows and Current Isuues
- Network/Pathway Analysis (suppose client is Cytoscape)
- Load Networks from various kinds of data sources:
- Load annotations:
- Local files (XML docs/text file/Excel worksheet)
- Web services (BioMart?, NCBI Gene, PICR, KEGG)
- Gene Ontology
- Gene Expression data
- Analyze the networks by plugins
- Visualize the result
- Generate publishable quality images
- How can we (at least partially) automate this by connecting to other workflow engins?
- Scripting vs Visual Programming
- (Please add your typical workflows here...)
Sample workflows in Web API for Bioinformatics (WABI)